For all you spendthrifts out there, a common problem that you all might face is, whenever you go to a grocery store you just end up with a big hole in your pocket. This usually happens because you step into the store without a plan and you pick up whatever you feel like on the basis of your choice and at times mood. This problem however can be very easily solved with effective methods that can help you shop better and achieve your financial goals. Let’s take a look at few pointers which will help you keep your grocery bills minimum.
1. Make a list before you step into the shop: This is by far the single most effective step if you are planning on reducing your long grocery bill. Before you go out for shopping, sit down with your family and jot down a list of items that you might need. Things that should always make to your grocery list are cereals, fruits, vegetables, meats, pulses, sources of protein, pulses etc. Always include some fun items as well, since restricting yourself way too much will lead to more temptation. Hence a bit of leverage is always good.
2. Plan your meals in advance: The first point directly leads to this tip. Only when your meals are planned in advance can you prepare a grocery list for your home. Prepare a menu plan for the entire week and then jot down items that you will need to prepare them. This step will not only help you save a lot of money, but also a lot of time since before preparing meal you don’t have to sit and think about what to cook every day. So take some time out! A little time spent on planning, will save a lot in future.
3. Stick to generic products as much as possible: Buying generic products can be great way to save money. Now, by steering clear of brands you are definitely not cutting down on your daily dose of nutrients whatsoever. What you are doing is you are reducing bill amount by avoiding tags. Go carefully through the label, which informs you about calorie content, nutrients etc. Spend some time on scanning labels and pick a cost-effective item by definitely not compromising on health.
4. Get loyalty card from the store for added benefits: The store always gives out loyalty cards after a certain amount spent. Opt for these cards as you can avail discounts on each purchase.
5. Keep an eye for coupons: Your Sunday newspaper always contains coupons which basically are sales promotion offers. Make the most of them.